Monday, December 29, 2014

5 Painters I like right now - January edition

  The idea of a monthly  5 Painters piece kinda went out the window when October showed up and my favorite 5 were the same ones in September.  The last month has been really good though, so pull up your reference folder and be ready to save images.

1.  TorkaThor.  I've never heard of this guy, but he posted some holiday work that is absolutely wonderful.  His thread is here.


2.  Kommander_Redfinger.  He's got a couple of threads, including some Khador I believe.  However, his Granite Trolls are by far my favorite, for completely unbiased reasons.  This army specifically is for Trevor with Chainattack, and Trevor has some fine taste in comissioned artwork.  This thread is here.
  

3.  Jolly Roger Studio.  This is a collaboration of artists, so the thread has multiple contributors to it as they complete projects together.  They have a very definitive artstyle shared between them, and it's some of the best cohesiveness between a set of artists that I've seen in the miniature painting realm of things.  They have a Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/JollyRogerStudio, and a website, www.jollyrogerstudio.org.


4.  UnlimitedColor

  I didn't find this guy on PrivateerPress, but rather on CoolMiniOrNot.  He's got two models there that I noticed, but none more than his Mammoth.  The red is brilliant, and he's paid a lot of attention to detail.  As if that wasn't enough, he added even more.  Not only are the tattoos fantastic on the mammoth, the intricate detailing everywhere where there wasn't originally is very well done.  Having never owned or painted a Mammoth, I had to go find pictures to see if that detail was already modeled or if he had freehanded it.  He freehanded it, and it looks fanastic.  His website is here.



5.  BadHouse.  I really like a lot of the Convergence models, and there's a few (like Axis) that I'm probably going to pick up at some point for the sole purpose of painting.  So it's exciting for me to see well painted Convergence, and there's been a few champions out there.  Most people stay with the traditional silver/blue, but a couple of have gone off the beaten path.  BadHouse is the second Orange Convergence I've seen, and his thread is brand new.  Definitely enjoying this and I'm excited to keep up with it.  That thread is here.  I don't think he's the most technically proficient, and talented painter in this list, and his colossal has a couple of issues I see, but everything else is pretty awesome.


  Besides, the title is 5 Painters I like right now.  Not the 5 best painters in existence, or 5 painters I think you might like.  

Honorable mention.  Found this guy Monday morning.  GuitaRasmus.  Typical trollblood quandry on the forums these days, wants to play trolls for the big guys, but that's not how you play trolls.  So he's doing Legion instead, but he's doing it in style.  He's only got one completed sculpt, and unpainted at that, but it shows a lot of promise.  This thread just went up, and it's here.  He also has a blog that I'll be subscribing to, though it appears to be mostly 40k stuff.  That's ok.  I don't miss playing 40k, but I do love a well-painted Space Marine.  The blog is here.



  So that's that. I've got Borka2 painted, and will be posted shortly along with the Croak hunter that I was given for Secret Santa.  I got two games in over the weekend against Scaverous, and used Highwaymen both times, and that was fun.  My brother bought me Dynamo, so I grabbed a second Minuteman, and based them both yesterday. It appears that I'll be playing Cygnar in the near future, at least a few times.  Probably just Kraye.  Otherwise, the moving is settling down, so hopefully this will start picking up speed again.  Enjoy your new years!




No comments:

Post a Comment